How Do I Become a 4-H Club Advisor or Committee Member?
Adults interested in working with a club or in starting a club of their own must first go through the Ohio 4-H Volunteer Process. Ohio State University Extension does not recognize “parent or adult helpers” as approved volunteers in the organization. All individuals who are interested in volunteering through OSU Extension must adhere to the selection procedures. The following steps are required for the 2018 program year:
1. Print out a Volunteer Application Packet (see below) or pick up an application packet at the Ashland County Extension Office. Read all of the information including the job description.
2. Complete, sign and submit the Volunteer Application and the Standards of Behavior Form. Three references with complete postal addresses must be listed.
3. Successfully pass a BCI Criminal Fingerprint Background Check (also FBI for those not residing in Ohio the last five years). Details on requirements for this check are contained in the packet. Do not send the report to the Extension office. Please read the details in the packet carefully.
4. Once the fingerprint check is completed (Ashland County Extension Office will receive notification from Columbus when the BCI check has cleared - this can sometimes take a few weeks) and the reference forms are returned, an interview with the Extension Educator will be scheduled.
5. Volunteer training must be completed within 2 months of official approval as a volunteer.
Volunteer Application Packet
- Volunteer Application Packet Cover Letter (Please read this first!)
- Volunteer Application Pages 1-3 Page 4 (To be completed and submitted to the Ashland County Extension Office)
- Volunteer Standards of Behavior (To be completed and submitted to the Ashland County Extension Office)
- Fingerprinting Information (Take this sheet with you when you have your prints done)
- Volunteer Position Description - 4-H Organizational Advisor
- Volunteer Position Description - 4-H Club Advisor
- Volunteer Position Description - 4-H Volunteer Committee Member